Question Regarding P.E. License

Paul B.:I came across your profile after I noticed you were a part of my colleague’s network. I was astonished by your profile, but there was one thing really stood out to me. Being in the field of communication/dsp, you were able to acquire your P.E. license. How did you acquire it? I am currently pursuing an MSEE with a concentration in Digital Signal Processing,and I am also interested in acquiringmy P.E., but along with taking the P.E. exam., one must work under a licensed P.E. for a number of years. So my question to you is what was your process and do you see a possibility in one receiving their P.E. working in a corporation?
Clyde A. Lettsome, PhD, PE, MEM
Answer: Thanks for the kind words. Acquiring a PE does not require you to work directly under a single person (PE). Rather, you must work WITH a professional engineer that can verify your skills, knowledge, and work. Therefore, you can work for a large corporation. As long as there is a PE there that you work with and that person can verify your work, skills, and knowledge you are ok.

As for how I obtained the license, I took the computer engineering portion of the PE exam. When I took the exam there was not a Signal Processing area specific exam. Since my strengths are in Digital Signal Processing and Digital Communications, it only seemed natural to take the Computer Engineering exam option.

Good Luck!

Are you a struggling with a technical question? Would the answer to the question improve your life or business? Submit your technical questions.

View Archives >>