What I did to become a licensed Professional Engineer*
- Earned a bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET accredited engineering program
- Earned a master’s degree in engineering
- Passed the Engineer In Training (EIT now the Fundamentals of Engineering-FE) exam¹,²
- Completed three years of progressive engineering experience under two professional engineers
- Demonstrated engineering ethics in practice (confirmed by my engineering supervisor)
- Passed the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam¹,³
How I help with advance licensure now.
I serve on several committees and write questions for the
- Fundamentals of Engineering – Electrical and Computer Engineering exam
- Principles and Practice of Engineering exam – Computer Engineering exam
- Principles and Practice of Engineering exam – Software Engineering exam
*This was what I did. Please check your state’s requirements.
1. Passed on one attempt
2. This was an 8-hour exam on science, engineering, and math taught in a 4-year accredited engineering program.
3. This was an 8-hour exam on practical and theoretical engineering problems.
More information on why PE licensure.