At this year’s SPIE (Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers) Electronic Imaging conference in Burlingame, California, Dr. Clyde Lettsome, Ph.D., P.E., M.E.M., presented a published research paper that he coauthored with Dr. Yichang (James) Tsai of the Georgia Institute of Technology. The honor to present at the conference was extended to select authors whose research was published in the October-December 2012 edition of the Journal of Electronic Imaging. The paper titled, Enhanced adaptive filter bank based automated pavement crack detection and segmentation system discusses how to incorporate a novel filter-bank-based distress segmentation method into automated pavement distress systems. This technology could potentially be utilized by numerous transportation authorities to effectively, efficiently, and safely help detect distress in road pavement, potentially saving municipalities millions of dollars and commuters hundreds of hours.
“I was surprised when the SPIE extended the offer since authors of journal papers are usually not asked to present their journal papers at conferences,” said Dr. Lettsome. “It was an honor to present at the conference, and I obviously accepted the opportunity.”
Dr. Lettsome has over 16 years of technical and professional experience. Using his technical, business, and education experience, Dr. Lettsome finds ways to cut cost while improving productivity for consumers and his business customers. Some of his other notable accomplishments include:
- 3 time National Science Foundation Fellow
- Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers (IEEE) and Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) published author
- Senior Member of the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the states of Florida (FL 58671) and Georgia (Georgia PE037411)
- President of Calabrix Corporation when they were named one of the winners in the 2009 Office Depot “Survival of the Smartest” contests
- Outstanding Graduate Instructor at the Georgia Institute of Technology (top five graduate engineering and technology university according to US News and World Report Graduate School edition)
- EzineArticle.com expert author
- American Express Open Forum contributor
If you would like to connect with or read more of Dr. Lettsome’s writings, you may find more articles from him and read more about him at https://www.clydelettsome.com.